Monday, January 18, 2010

Unsolicited "Advertising"

During good old school and college days,I was fascinated by "credit cards".It was like a status symbol to me and I used to look people with awe who had it.As I started earning,I got introduced to the Beelzebub world of "unsolicited advertising".

During my 1st month of job,I got numerous calls from different banks pursuing me to use their credit cards.The voice on the phone used to be so sweet that it was really difficult to resist yourself from applying for one.When I used to battle with "Null Pointer Exceptions"....the girl on the phone would irritate with something like this "Hello sir...mein XYZ ki taraf se neha bol rahi thi....congratulations aap hamari Super value dinning card ke liye chune gaye hain"......,"kya mein jaan sakti hoon ki apki umar aur salary kya hai"(as if planning 2 marry me :D)......et al.
With my first salary of my life,I had applied for some 5-6 credit cards.With my salary proving incompetent to compete with the frequency with which I sweeped my card,I had to set all my credit cards on fire.Now,I just have one and I am happy with it.

The Insurance agents are gifted with a lot of foresight and their phone calls come at such timing which would force you to assume that behind all your bad luck,it was the conspiracy of the insurance agent.Recently When I was sitting in my office with a heavy heart after having broken my LCD of my cell,an insurance agent called up and said....."good morning sir...mein..ABC ki taraf se pinki bol rahi thi....hamari company aapko personal loan dena chahati hai...kya aap batayange aap ki salary kya hai..?".......I got so furious that I felt like banging my office phone but then I thought about my job and cooled down.............

These agents are like pests..."unwanted...unsolicited"..........but without them the big MNC's would flounder coz they are the ones who create customer base for their parent company.