Thursday, June 2, 2011

First operation of my life-appendectomy!!

When life seemed its all about attending never ending lectures,appearing for online quizzes,desperately fighting to stay afloat in the my sinking ship of poor grades,I was struck by appendicitus!

Appendicitus is the inflammation of appendix which leads to severe pain in the right bottom of your abdomen! Pain is like real bad and it strikes like lightning-suddenly!I decided to go for operation as that was the only permanent solution.Now here comes the experience of a life time!

The pain had subsided after a couple of days and after consulting with doctor,I gobbled dozen of antibiotics and was again back to normal.But still thought of going for operation as never wanted to take any chance!

The operation day arrived.I went to the operation theater dressed as if I am going for hanging out with my friends--spykar denim jeans and a wrangler denim shirt.I had the impression that a laproscope would need a few inches of space to be inserted,appendix would be removed and I would get back to jogging(for obvious reasons) the very next day---that's what the doctor at my campus had said!! Whatever I had been told to say yes for operations was sheer non-sense!!

My operation was scheduled on 8.30 p.m and I wasn't allowed to even drink a single drop of water the entire day,also no food.All I was given was few bottles of antibiotics mercilessly injected into by bloodstream by some long needles pierced into my veins.

The abdomen area was shaved off,my denim jeans and shirt stripped off and was given some depressing operation gown.The gown had strange pattern of stripes and it was half open on the other side.Hospital was filled with gloomy creatures ,some depressingly old faces with imbecile behaviour,nurses dressed in white seemed to have heard the death bells of patients and preparing them for the death bed.Such sick atmosphere made my feel for a moment my NIT degree and XIMB MBA was all wasted.I started feeling the futility of leading a materialistic life.
Life was not about matlab codes,gabor wavelets,NPV or any shitty academic subject.Laproscopy is a very minor operation,0% risk.But the very feeling of undergoing at an age of 25 made me feel nervous.

I was taken to the operation room.I could observe the colorful bulb and the tick-tock timer that I had seen only in movies.The entire body except my head was made numb by anesthesaia.My body started feeling heavy and I felt weighting a ton!The surgeon entered the room in a green gown with some strange looking instruments.

Afraid at the very sight of big machines in the operation room,I closed my eyes and started frantically praying!Strangely I could hear the doctors and his entourage gossiping in the operation theater about what color they should paint their new upcoming hospital,which made me more nervous!There were even phone calls inside the theater and I heard people taking to their friends on phone.
"...man tho kar raha tha..kade hokar ek ek chata jama doon..sab par!!!"
but.....my body was numb.I thought may be laproscopy was too minor an operation for the surgeon and his team.Later i knew that that particular surgeon used to do some 10 operations every day.

After operations I was on liquid food for 5 days.Thanks to GSK for coming up with a healthy product like horlicks drink and biscuits.Lived on Nariyal paani and horlicks for 5 days.Horlicks biscuits was one of my fav..so had no issues eating it 3 times a day for 5 day :)

After 10 days of bed rest,I was back to normal!! I could drive..I could eat "most" of the delicacies!

Now when any of my friends ask about operation,I give them a wry smile and say "Life mein sab cheez ka experience lena chahiye....operation was one of the things missing..so decided to go for it!!"

In some way it was fun."Aaram se bed mein pade rao....your relatives come to you with a misleading sad face and some goodies.Your family members treat you like a baby.....you say it..you have it in a flash!!!

Altogether it was a "very-different" experience gave me a lot of time for self introspection!