Monday, June 13, 2011

Never ever Assume..!!!!


One fine day as I was doing some odd routine work at office,I started vizualising the delicacies cooked at home by my mom.There weren't any train tickets on offer on irctc.com and and I was too lazy to go to the bus depot for booking my bus tickets.

I thought of giving a try to booking bus tickets online from Bhubaneswar to Rourkela.I had booked bus tickets online from Mumbai to bangalore before but had never given it a try in Orissa. I booked my tickets by makemytrip.com and I assumed that all the buses which were partnering with makemytrip would be good ones.I randomly clicked on a bus called XX Travels(initials undisclosed as my blog isn't supposed to be hate blog) and booked one of the two tickets available,which gave me a feeling of achievement.

The bus ticket had the departure time of "9.30 p,m" and I rushed to the bus stop by 9.00 p.m as I was all geared up for a trip to home to gratify my taste buds.What followed next was one of the "horrible" journeys of my life.

I was kept stranded at the bus stop for the next 2 hours.Buses came and went but mine one didn't turn up.The other passengers waiting for the bus were loosing their temper and went to the ticket counter,held the person at the counter by the collar and punched hard on his face.I got some entertainment after having waited for 1 hour.The person at the counter really deserved this as he had deceived all of us by saying that bus would be arriving in next 15 min while the truth was that the bus had punchered its tyre.

Finally the 9.30 pm bus arrived at 11.30p.m.I felt like setting the bus on fire but some how I kept my anger in control and boarded the bus.When I entered the bus,I was shocked! The aisle was filled with large cement bags carrying vegetables,steel rods,stinking dry fish.To worsen my conditions,there was a drunken idiot sitting behind my seat who was murmuring some oriya slangs and was cursing the entire system and the world.It looked like the entire villagehad boarded the bus with all their bagging and was migrating to some other place.Deeply frustrated,I closed my eyes and started frantically praying for the bus to reach my home place ASAP.After 9 hours of third degree torture,I reached my home.

The moral of the story is that it can be damn risky at times to "assume".Had I not assumed that all buses partnering with makemytrip.com were good service providers,I wouldn't have gone through all this trauma.Its true that "Assumptions is the mother of all goof-ups".